Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Send Me

Amy Sullivan over at the Washington Monthly has an informed post on how faith and values were addressed last night at the Democratic Convention by Rev. David Alston and by Bill Clinton.

"Send Me" Clinton began with this passage -- "During the Vietnam War, many young men--including the current president, the vice president, and me--could have gone to Vietnam but didn't. John Kerry came from a privileged background and could have avoided it, too. Instead, he said, 'send me.'" He continued on, outlining Kerry's lifetime of public service by noting that everytime his country has asked something of him, John Kerry has replied, "Send me." It was a nice little phrase for the audience to yell back at Clinton, but it comes from the prophet Isaiah (6:8) -- "Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

More blogs about Eschew Obfuscation.
Who Links Here