Cyrus Eaton, Social Science, and Charlie Eaton - Berkeley
A fun crosspost from another blog I have for Thinkers Lodge about a little family history that inspires my son's intellectual curiosity and critical approach to powerful interests:
Prominent cold war critic and Thinkers Lodge founder Cyrus Eaton was an ardent supporter of social science that engaged pressing issues. Friendships with academics like John Dewey and Bertrand Russell nurtured this passion. Today, Eaton's passion for social science is carried forward by his Cyrus' great grandson Charlie Eaton at Berkeley where he is a PhD candidate in Sociology.
Here is a photo of Cyrus in the center and Dewey on the left.
And here's another photo with Russell on the left and Cyrus on the right:
Here's what Charlie has published so far:
- “Swapping Our Future: How Students and Taxpayers Are Funding Risky UC Borrowing and Wall Street Profits.” forthcoming in Berkeley Journal of Sociology. 2013.
- Research assistance for: Shaiken, Harley. “Commitment is a Two-Way Street: Toyota, California and NUMMI.” Working Paper Series, Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, UC Berkeley. March 3, 2010.
- “Student Unionism and Sustaining Student Power.” Social Text. 70, Vol. 20, No. 1, Spring 2002, pp. 51-60.
- “‘1 percent’ need to re-fund higher education.” with Claudia Magaña. Sacramento Bee. Page 13A. March 9, 2012.
- Jones, Steven T. “The growing 99 percent: Students and faculty groups take to the streets, adding to the Occupy Movement.” San Francisco Bay Guardian. November 8 2012.
- “Rethinking the Sweatshop: A Conversation about United Students against Sweatshops (USAS) with Charles Eaton, Marion Traub-Werner, and Evelyn Zepeda.” Interview by Kitty Krupat. International Labor and Working-Class History. No. 61. Spring 2002, pp. 112-127.
Reporters sometimes contact Charlie for stories on healthcare finance, college finance, labor, and student protest. On his website, Charlie has links to an assortment of news stories for which he has been interviewed. Most stories that have quoted Charlie during his Berkeley years have made it onto his Facebook timeline. Here are some greatest hits:
- March 13, 2013 - UC Regents Public Comment Session Draws Attention to …
- Feb. 12, 2013 - Orange County Register - UC Irvine students rally against health insurance cap | student …
- January 30, 2013 SF Chronicle - comments on Obamacare and financial mismanagement of UC Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Nov. 18, 2012 - The Nation -Prop 30 Tax Revenues to Be Diverted from Higher Ed to Wall Street …
- Nov. 15, 2012 - Huffington Post - University Of California Deals With Wall Street Banks Could Wipe …
- Nov. 14, 2012 - Firedog Lake - Millions in CA Prop 30 Tax Revenues Will Be Diverted from Higher …
- Nov. 14, 2012 - Calitics - Calitics:: Millions in Prop 30 Tax Revenues Will Be Diverted from …
- July 18, 2012 - San Jose Mercury News - UC regents endorse governor’s tax plan - San Jose Mercury News
- June 22, 2012 - UC Berkeley Labor Center - Economic Inequality Teach In: Charlie Eaton - YouTube
- May 17, 2012 - SF Chronicle - Protests as UC regents seek to avoid tuition hike - SFGate
- May 16, 2012 - California University Cuts Davis Enterprise
- March 1, 2012 - Sacramento News & Review - Occupy the Capitol? - News - Local …
- March 1, 2012 - Mother Jones Magazine - Student Protests Seek to Breathe New Life Into Occupy | Mother Jones
- Dec. 5, 2011 - KSBW Radio - Gov. Jerry Brown To Pitch Tax Hike To Voters | KSBW Home - KSBW …
- Nov. 28, 2011 - Protesters Disrupt Regents Meeting - The Bay Citizen
- Nov. 28, 2011 - CBS Bay Area - UC Students Protest Police Actions, Soaring Tuition As Regents Meet
- Nov. 28, 2011 - Dozens Speak Out at UC Regents’ Meeting - Berkeley Daily Planet
- Nov. 27, 2011 - NBC Bay Area - UC Board of Regents Modify Monday Meeting Format | NBC Bay Area
- Nov. 22, 2012 - Wall Street Journal - UC Davis Police Chief Put on Leave After Defending Pepper …
- Nov. 15, 2011 - Associated Press - comments on Occupy Wall Street, Refund California, and Occupy Cal.
- Nov. 14, 2011 - SF Chronicle - comments on cancellation of UC Regents meeting in face of Occupy Wall Street protests.
- Nov. 14, 2011 - SF Examiner - UC Regents cancel meeting after receiving threats of violence | Amy …
- May 26, 2011 - TA Union Remains Divided - City on a Hill Press
- May 9, 2011 - Huffington Post - Reformers Sweep UC Union Election - Huffington Post
- April 29, 2011 - Admin Caucus tries to rig UAW election | THOSE WHO USE IT
- Feb. 2, 2011 - Push by UC UAW 2865 Grad Union Reformers Triggers